How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good afternoon, my question is - A claim was made against me

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, my question is - A claim was made against me by my sister inlaw and was awarded by the sum of 1.2 million for the manslaughter of my brother. The award was granted in my absence in Wrexham court. My solicitor had failed to be present at the hearing and i was not informed of the hearing date. My solicitor requested that the judgment be set aside but then the solicitor informed me that the court had refused this. I have taken action against my solicitor for his negligence. I own a caravan site in north wales and my brothers wife has now claiming on the site and wants to run it. Her claim is that her husband my brother would have made this amount in the time that he was alive . My claim is that he would not have made this amount of 1.2 million in his working time and was only 5 yrs away from retiring . Can you please advise me on what I can do, regards, ***** ***** Owen.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

At what stage is your claim against the Solicitor please?


The solicitors have given a sum of £70 k as a compensation fee, I have refused this offer my councils seeking more. The sum of £1.2 million is what I am seeking advise for really as to what I can do to get this reduced as it was awarded in my absence with no defence. The advice I was given was that the claimant compensation fee should have been around 4 hundred thousand to 8 hundred thousand.What can I do about this? She is trying to obtain my caravan park as payment for the compensation. I have been providing monthly payments of £2000 pounds and have already given her the sum of £200 thousand as means of payment.

Alex Watts :

What you need to do is bring a claim against the Solicitor and then apply to the Court for a stay on enforcement proceedings until the negligence claim is sorted out.

Alex Watts :

But the Court will not do that unless you have actually issued proceedings against the Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

Once you have done that you can apply to the Court to adjourn and suspend enforcement in the other action

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you