How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Im so sorry to bother you but please could someone tell me

This answer was rated:

I'm so sorry to bother you but please could someone tell me what I can do about being convicted of a driving offence that was not me. I got a letter off the dvla saying I needed to have six points on my license for a driving offence miles away I was at work when this happened. When I contacted the court they said I owe £600 and have 6 point. After I spent four hours calling the dvla courts and police station it turned out that the police report never had a Dob and somewhere along the line my details were added as the lady had a similar name to me. I'm trying to sort it out but I keep getting fobbed off. The car is not mine the name is ***** ***** I don't live there never even visited but still I got convicted in court. I'm lost as to what else I can do about this. :(
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I assume you never knew about the proceedings please?

Customer: No all the court stuff went to the real lady's home but the conviction came to me a month after the court date
Alex Watts :

Ok - you need to make an appointment at your local Court and make a statutory declaration as soon as possible

Alex Watts :

You have a limited time to do this where you say you dont know about proceedings

Alex Watts :

If accepted then the court sets it aside and the Police can start the process again

Alex Watts :

But if it is found that you did know about proceedings when you say you did not, this is serious and you would go to prison

Alex Watts :

But contact the Court and make a statutory declaration assap

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: I have that tomorrow morning at my local court I also have my clock card from work I have explained to the court that the conviction is not even my name or address but they say it is as it's my drivers number and birth date. When this gets cleared will my record be clean or will it still be on there I'm in the middle of an a k1 application and am so worried this is going to affect it. The police won't talk to me as I'm not the person on file but the court won't help because I'm already convicted it's puzzled me
Alex Watts :

You need to make a statutory declaration - this is what you need to do

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer: No that's it thank you very much for you time
Alex Watts :

Great, all the best with this

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer

Customer: Thanks
Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you