How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71141
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

About four years ago, I browsed several adult dating sites

This answer was rated:

About four years ago, I browsed several adult dating sites and decided to pay a fee for one of them for three months membership, when the three months was up, they took another sum from my bank for that membership and then took two more sums for two other sites that I hadn't authorised! I rang them in Windsor and complained but, they insisted that I owed them and was a member of the two others. I cancelled them and left it. A couple of weeks ago, I paid £120.00 pounds to Global personals for a one year membership for another site, namely, Senior After trying to access the site, I was unable to because when I tried it said that my email address did not exist! I believe someone in that company has made it impossible for me to access the site. I emailed them and informed them of my predicament and asked them to reimburse me as I couldn't access the site and nothing has been done. How do I go about retrieving my money, please? R A Howlett *****@******.***
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you have auk address for them? Don't give it to me but does one exist to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they have an address in Windsor!

If they just plain refuse to issue a refund then your only option is to sue. Its a small claims court sum so its cheap enough to issue. You can do so here
You should really send them a letter before action giving the, 14 days to pay and making clear you will sue if they do not. That will probably lead to a refund.
If you paid by credit card then you can get your card to reclaim the amount. Also the credit card company would be liable under s78 CCA.
If this is a direct debit then Sadly you don't have that protection.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you