UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

I live in a border area of Northern Ireland. I have worked

Customer Question

I live in a border area of Northern Ireland. I have worked for many years in Northern Ireland and in the Republic of Ireland, paying social security in both jurisdictions. I am 68. I am receiving my old-age pension from the UK, but not yet from the Republic.
Am I entitled to an old-age pension from the Republic?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You need to check with the Department of Social Protection whether or not you are eligible to claim a state pension in the Republic:

The official advice is as follows:

Questions about your eligibility for a State Pension (Contributory) should be addressed to your local social welfare office or:

Department of Social Protection

Social Welfare Services
College Road

Opening Hours:This office does not offer a service to personal callers. All queries must be made using the online enquiry form, by telephone or in writing.
Tel:(071) 915 7100
Locall:1890 500 000

You can email the State Pension (Contributory) section using the secure enquiry form. If you wish to talk to someone face-to-face about your pension entitlements, you can visit your local Citizens Information centre, social welfare local office or Intreo centre.

Questions about your social insurance record should be addressed to:

PRSI Records

Department of Social Protection
McCarter's Road

Tel:(01) 471 5898
Locall:1890 690 690

From April 2012 late claims for contributory pensions can be backdated for a maximum of 6 months. This applies to State Pension (Contributory and Transition) and Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension. Read more in our document about late claims.

The above information appears here:

Hope this helps