How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hello I have a Ford focus style 2007 it has just under 34000

This answer was rated:

Hello I have a Ford focus style 2007 it has just under 34000 miles on the clock my son purchased it for me from a dealer it was an ex mobility 3 years ago with 16500 on the clock it is a semi automatic however it has now developed what I have discovered is a common fault with this car . it had a warranty we purchased until January this year but it has now developed problems with the transmission it has problems engaging the low? gears and jerks /kangaroos the warning comes up transmission failure which changes straight away to engine system failure . My son inquired at the dealership they said the had never heard of a fault like this which is surprising to say the least as when I googled it I found it was quite a common failure.
My car should not need costly repair after such a low mileage being elderly I rely on my car and am house bound without one and feel Ford must be aware of this fault and should rectify as it obviously is a design fault. This car was bought on finance from the dealers and is still not paid for.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
How much will it cost to rectify this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well by what I see online from other they say it would be over £1000 and when I spoke to a local company who just do transmissions they said they thought it would be in the region of £1000 but until it was stripped down who knows?

You should ask two reputable garages to give you quotes to do the work.
When you have those quotes you should write to the dealer AND finance company.
You can tell the dealer that you want them to repair the vehicle at their own cost on the grounds that it is not of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
You can tell the finance company that you hold them jointly liable under s.75 Consumer Credit Act 1974.
Give them 14 days to respond. If you're happy with the response e.g. they will repair the vehicle free of charge then that's fine.
If they refuse to do so then you will have to sue the garage for breach of contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. I can help you with that if you need guidance.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex


Thought you may like to know outcome the finance company have agreed to pay for repair also has paid compensation for delay in answering and anything resulting from the problem.

would recommend you to anyone who needed advise many thanks


Kind regards Noreen Deas