How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have just been turned down for my first UK passport. My parents

This answer was rated:

I have just been turned down for my first UK passport. My parents were not married in 1963. Mam German, Dad English ( couldn't marry because he was already married and stationed in Germany as a soldier), Stepdad ( was a British soldier stationed in Germany too in those days, adopted me in 1971 Welsh/British National, Husband British National married since 1982. Both of my children are British and so are my half brothers and sister. I was born in Germany. What can I do? Can I appeal? It would mean so much to me to have finally own my own British passport.
I am afraid you are not a British Citizen and therefore not entitled to a British passport yet.
There is no point in appealing as you will not succeed.
This is because you father was not married to your mother whether before or after your birth.
It you have been living in the UK for 5 years and exercising treaty rights during the 5 years period, you may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen and then apply for a British passport as you are married to a British Citizen and are entitled to apply for British Citizenship immediately you get permanent residency in the UK under EEA regulations.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. So it makes no difference that I was adopted either by my British Step-dad, even that both names appear on my legal document.

Not unless you were adopted through the UK courts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank once again for your help.


Petra Jobson