How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Following the death of her father my niece put the modest apartment

This answer was rated:

Following the death of her father my niece put the modest apartment he had left her up for sale. It was sold in February 2011 for £70,000. Her solicitor paid over £45,000 less charges but said that the Housing Association which managed the apartment block insisted £25,000 be withheld until they had assessed the amount required for re-decorating and repairs. Those repairs have long long since been carried out but my niece's solicitor says he cannot hand over the money owing to her because the housing association has still not rendered its bills and he was unable to set a time deadline. Can she sue the housing association or the solicitor or both?

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
There are two issues here.
The first related to the conduct of the solicitor.
The second related to the service provided by the solicitor and/or his firm.
In relation the first matter you should report him to the Solicitors Regulation Authority:
In relation to the second matter you should report him to the Legal Ombudsman:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for that helpful reply. However, I am not sure which of the issues you recommend referring to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and which to the Legal Ombudsman.

Chris Hutchins

There are two issues.
The SRA will deal with the conduct of the solicitor in terms of the delay etc.
The Ombudsman will deal with the poor legal service provided by the solicitor and his firm.
Both are free. Court action is not. Plus they're more likely to get things moving quickly.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you