How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi please can u tell me if my grandad can register ownership

This answer was rated:

Hi please can u tell me if my grandad can register ownership of a plot of land he has lived on for over 25 years the site is on land that was a touring caravan camping site now closed but my grandad was the former site warden before it closed and has lived in a static caravan as the warden for years and still lives there what rights does he have to own where he lives
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I would be grateful if you could give me a little more information-
When did the site close? I take it that your granddad was given the caravan as a perk for his job?
Was he ever granted a formal Lease or other written agreement to allow him to use the caravan?
How has he been able to remain living there, after the closure of the site?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What I know is my nan and grandad were live on site wardens for campsite and have 2 approx 40ft side by side static caravans within a fence boundary the campsite has been closed now for over 5years as lease for operating a caravan park was not renewed so land owner had let the field go back to just a grazing field my nan is not around anymore but my grandad who owns the static homes has these on a concrete base was left to carry on living there there is no agreement and don't pay any rent and is connected to main drainage and water supply and electric does he inherit this plot or can u tell me where he stand on owning this
Hi Luke,
Thanks for your reply.
In order to claim land from the true legal owner, you have to show that you have been possessing the land without his consent for 10 years or more.
While the site was open, this time period did not start to run as your granddad and nan were living there "with consent".
On the basis that the legal owner of the land has not since the site closed, granted your granddad any sort of consent to remain on site, then the 10 year period has now been running for 5 years.
So, I'm afraid your granddad can't make a claim on the land for another 5 years. Once the 10 year period has elapsed, he can then make a claim to the Land Registry under the adverse possession law. If he can show at that time that he has possessed the land without hindrance or consent for 10 years, the Land Registry will grant him possessory title of the land.
I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou I've just checked and my grandad said it's been 7years since site closed so if he has no contact in the next 3years then he can claim the land is that right
Hi Luke,
You are correct- another 3 years and then he can apply to claim the land on which the caravan is situated. The Land Registry will come out and view the land to satisfy themselves that he has been in possession of the land in question. Therefore your grandad will only be able to claim the land he has fenced in and on which the caravan is positioned, as opposed to the whole site itself.
I hope this helps you.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you