How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have an email agreement with my landlord to provide a reference

This answer was rated:

I have an email agreement with my landlord to provide a reference which he has only provided a part one and has refused to complete it (in email). when living at the property he had no gas/electric safety certificate, i was given no rentbook whilst there nor did i have a contract as it was arranged through a friend. my rent was always on time and has been signed for to prove that. he has cost me around £1000 in extra expenses as i have had to lodge with a friend for a week or so and have had to put stuff into storage as i am 300 miles from where i lived. I am at my wits end and my friend has a family and as much as i appreciate what they are doing i just want to be in my own place.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Why has he refused please?
Alex Watts : You mean he failed to live up to his part of the agreement?

Yes, we made an agreement by email which has cost me £60, his part was to provide a reference to the letting agent. He filed a part reference, and didn't fill out one question which means the process won't continue until he does.


I have asked him to complete this explaining it needs to be done, however he refused (in email). I am now unable to continue with the process until he does.

I am willing to pay more for the answer, as i was unable to up the amount at the start.

thank you


his words were "I am not aware of any attempts to contact me since friday, but i really have nothing more to add, i filled in the line about regular payments and in 'comments' said "paid up"


I did not make any other comments as that should have been enough for them.

I have no wish to comment on your personal behavior and habits as a housemate"

I caused no trouble and took a lot of harassment (in the form of consistent swearing at me in emails and letters) and discrimination (disability) from him and the other tenant. The worse i did was refuse to be the only one to take out the recycling as i worked shift and was left to tend to their animals.
I was on the end of a lot of backstabbing and idle gossip from the staff who worked at his cattery and faced verbal abuse from someone who didn't work there but let herself in at any point in time.
His staff see him as a bully and he intimidates them, i told him last year that i was on the NHS Crisis list as i attempted to take my life in July 2013. This is causing great stress to me as i need somewhere so that my children can stay over.

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thanks Alex, So i could use the request as leverage to get him to complete the reference properly as it would breach the email agreement? and i could claim the costs from him too?




(is there anyway to increase the money to you please?)

Alex Watts :

Yes you could use this as leverage.

Alex Watts :

Once you rate I think you get the option to leave a tip, which is greatly appreciated!

Alex Watts :



Many Thanks :)

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you