How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49818
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

As a one man limited company contractor what rights do I have

Customer Question

As a one man limited company contractor what rights do I have if I a staff member of the company I am contracted to goes out their way to making it a hostile environment
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you approached the employer over this?
JACUSTOMER-hxw8g195- : Hi Ben, I haven,t
Ben Jones :

Apologies for the delay in responding for some reason the system had not notified me that you were waiting for my response and I have only just seen it by accident.

As a contractor and not an employee, your rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. You are not protected to the same extent as employees are in the sense that you cannot for example resign and make a claim for constructive dismissal for the employer’s breach of contract or the acts of their employees. You are certainly able to bring these issues to the employer’s attention, either informally or formally through the employer’s grievance procedure if they allow you to use that and ask them to try and deal with them but if they refuse to do anything about it then your hands are somewhat tied. You may of course decide to stop working with them or ask to be moved but you cannot make a claim against the employer if you felt you were forced out. So really this is an issue that is left in the hands of the employer – you have the right t make them aware of it but if their response is not as expected or they refuse to deal with it, you would either have to continue working there under the current conditions or leave and find a new job. Unfortunately, as a contractor the law does not allow you to make a claim against the employer in this situation.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks