How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im currently being assessed by a social worker who has stated

Customer Question

I'm currently being assessed by a social worker who has stated that she has concerns and will not close this case soon. She is gathering information from professionals and has seen me twice. I am stressed and worried and do not know what to do. Just to give you some facts;
1. I'm a single mother living in temporary accommodation. I work as a freelance writer and researcher. I also get child support from my ex (dad) who is my 3 year old daughter's father.
2. Dad and I had a bad relationship. Mainly he was emotionally and at times physically abusive. We broke up a few months after the birth of our daughter.
3. The police were called to our house many times mostly by me and on one occasion by him. I bit his leg while he was holding me down and had his knee on my chest and wouldn't let me go. I got a caution for assault. This happened in 2010.
4. No further police involvement except I was stopped for shoplifting while with my daughter. She had taken some chocolate and I walked out without paying for it. Police was called and I was given a penalty notice for £100 which I paid.
5. Just a few months ago, dad pushed our daughter and she fell and hit her head on the glass coffee table. Dad said he did that in self defence as she was coming to attack him with a shoe. I called NSPC and reported this incident.
6. My 3 year old is healthy, happy, and thriving. I have personally been in regularly therapy for one year. I have also taken my daughter and myself to a family therapist several times even before the SS got involved. I am making an effort to loon after my child's physically and emotionally.
7. SS has told me that both my ex and I are under the spotlight.
8. What is the possibility of SS to take my child away and what can I go prevent that from happening?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What concerns have Social Services identified?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They haven't identified any particular concerns yet just said that they have concerns.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Who have they spoken to so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When she had expressed her concern she had only spoken to me and checked my history. Now I believe she has spoken to GP, Maya's nursery teacher, my therapist and the family therapist. As far as I'm aware none of these above mentioned people have a concern about myself as a parent or Maya's physical or emotional health except to say that my ex and I need to resolve our differences and parent together. I have not yet heard from the social worker after she has spoken to these people.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Please do not worry - at the start of the process then of course Social Services will look at both parents - anything else would be wrong.
However from what you have said you are doing everything that you need to do - and if Social Services do have concerns then you need to listen to them and agree to take whatever steps they request.
Children are only removed from parents when they are real risk and all efforts to change the situation have failed.
Co-operate (even when you think they are wrong) and everything should go well