How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am taking my dog groomer to County Court to recover vets

This answer was rated:

I am taking my dog groomer to County Court to recover vets bills following serious damage to my dog which she admits. She originally paid for a first operation (£2000) but refuses to pay for a second necessary op. (Confirmed by vet) She now says she is a limited company and can't be sued personally. I believe she can as she is the person wholly responsible for the injuries. She is director and sole employee. She has no public liability insurance. What do you think
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
She be sued individually on the basis of negligence but then you may fall foul of the prohibition upon claiming pure economic loss.
If you want to sue in breach of contract, there being an implied condition to act with reasonable care and skill, then you need to sue the company. That is your better claim but its not impossible to sue her on that basis.
If you are trying to rely on breach of contract against her though then you might be in difficulty unless you are going to argue that the limited company is a sham.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you