How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a 19 year old male,and I had a car (value £1000) with

Customer Question

I am a 19 year old male,and I had a car (value £1000) with a major insurer who I was paying by installments.A month ago,whilst the vehicle was legally parked outside my house,
a tradesman left his van parked on the side of the road without the handbrake on.
The van rolled down an incline and smashed the front of the car.I reported the matter to my insurance company,who came and took the car away.I was offered£750 for the car which I reluctantly accepted.However my insurance company then said that because I still had instalments to pay,they were keeping the money.So,through no fault of my own,I have lost my car,and had no compensation.Is this fair?Do I have any redress?Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

How much do you still owe in insurance premiums?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have paid 5 instalments of 12, since March 2014,plus a £250 deposit.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
How much insurance premiums do you still have left to pay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have seven instalments left to pay

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't sound right, if the insurer company had agreed that you may pay by instalments then there is no reason for the m to withhold the entire amount from you. They may deduct the remaining instalments and pay you the rest.
I suggest that you lodge a formal complaint with your insurer and then take the matter further to the financial ombudsman if the insurer refuses to pay you the balance.
Hope this helps.