How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My father changed his will to make me the sole beneficiary

Customer Question

My father changed his will to make me the sole beneficiary of his property and at the same time applied for LPA so I could deal with his finances as he was suffering from mild dementia. he has recently lost mental capacity and has been admitted to a care home. My brother (possibly because he has been left out of the will) has filed a complaint with the adult social care assessment team that he is concerned about the way I am dealing with his finances. Do they have the power to take away my LPA and change his will which was written with solicitors
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, your brother does not have the power to force your father's will to be changed. If your father were to die, he may challenge the will in court within 6 months of probate being granted under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act.

I am assuming that the LPA in your favour has been registered, if not, an application should be made to register it as soon as possible.

Anyone may object to the LPA, so your brother may challenge it on various grounds such as the LPA was made fraudulently, or you are not acting in the best interests of your father etc.

See here:

May I help further?