How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I recieved a letter yesterday from a debt collecttion service

Customer Question

Hi, I recieved a letter yesterday from a debt collecttion service saying that an application has now been made for the warrents to re-issued for my address for £5427 of outstanding Londoon parking tickets.
I part exchanged this car 4 days previously to a garage in London and I have the used vehicle invoice with date and info on and the reciept for the new car.
I have sent this to the debt company today but wondering if this is enough to make this go away?
I dont even live in London as I live in Hampshire and I can provve I was in work during these ticket dates!
Any Advice?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please see the two files attached.

Is this proof of sale enough as the parking tickets in London start from the 11-12-2013 and the reciept states the sale was the 07-12-13


Attachment: 2014-07-25_112243_2014-07-25_12-15-36-827.pdf

Attachment: 2014-07-25_112328_2014-07-25_12-17-23-517.pdf

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Was this car sold before all of the fines were issued?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes 4 days before the tickets started.

The fines started on the 11th Dec 2013 through to the 22 Jan 2014.

I have sent the attached car reciept to this company..

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There's no point in doing that. At least you can do that. It does not harm. But do not rely on it.
You need to make a statutory declaration on all fines. Firstly using the out of time forms explaining why you are out of time. Then an in time forms on the grounds that you didn't get the PCNs which I presume is true in this case? Obviously you can only do this if it is true as filing a false stat dec is perjury.
That will lead to the matter being taken back to the issue of the fines which you can then defend on the basis that you are no longer then owner.
Also, you could make an application to stay the bailiffs warrant using the N244 forms at your local county court on the basis that you are not the responsible person.
Sometimes these things are caused because people fail to advice the DVLA of a sale but 4 days after exchange they wouldn't have had notification even if you had acted swiftly.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So In the meantime if a bailiff turns up they can take my goods?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but they won't act that quickly and if they did you would have a claim against them for distress.
Just keep your house locked and secured and your car parked in a garage or many streets away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My car is a company car!

Where would i find a statutory declaration form?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
If you don't own the car then it cannot be seized although bailiffs have been known to seize items that they shouldn't.
You will find the explanatory material and the forms here
at the bottom of the page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok and I need to make 1 form per parking ticket and then get this signed and then sent off?

What about the bailiffs warrant using the N244 forms?

Is the letter i sent you a bailiffs warrent?

Will this also involve a CCJ against me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they will have a warrant.
Its not a CCJ though because its a parking fine matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great so I recieve a letter yesterday to say I owe £5500 in parking fines and a warrent will be issued for goods to be removed from my house for a car that was sold to a garage and there is nothing I can do to stop this in the short term!?

Crazy system

So I have 40 frroms to fill in and get signed by my local commissioner then send off to the traffic enforcement centre

What about this N244 form?

Had a look and I do not have any of the answers on this form?

This is so stressfull please help

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
What did you want to know about that?
I'm happy to continue with this but please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How to fill in a N244 when I dont have the answers...........

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
I have no difficulty continuing to assist. You will appreciate that I must balance my time and I am conscious that this thread is now very long. If you would kindly leave feedback to date I will be very happy to continue to assist.