How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

This is a civil matter. In July 2013 I was convicted of

Customer Question

This is a civil matter.
In July 2013 I was convicted of theft from the RBS group of £18,000. I received a 2 year suspended sentence, 6 months tag and 250 hours community service.
Subsequently the bank have written to me stating that they now believe that the amount misappropriated by myself to be in the region of £130,000, which is more than held in my pension fund.
I took advice and wrote back refuting these claims as I was only prosecuted for £18,000.
They have now written to me saying that they are willing to have £18,000 from my pension fund (which at 18/6/14 stands at £152,245.79) so that they can obtain some funds immediately. They however are reserving the right to come back to me for the outstanding amount at a later date.
During my prosecution it was myself that told the police / court that the amount was in the region of £15,000 - £18,000, they went for the higher amount, and did not contest the amount at the time. My activities were discovered in Nov 2012 so they had 6 months to come up with evidence.
I feel that I would happily sign over the £18,000 from my pension fund but would like the remainder of the pension fund signed over to myself so that I could invest out of their control.
But if this was agreed to it would be in full and final settlement of his matter and they would have to state that no further action would be taken.
Can you please advise me on the best way to respond to their correspondence?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you instructed a Solicitor at all please?