How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

Hello I am a leaseholder of a flat in a development within

Customer Question

I am a leaseholder of a flat in a development within England. The development has a district heating system of which I am charged proportionately according to square metre floor space for fixed maintenance costs and via a meter for the variable hot water usage costs. The meter is located within my flat. According to the property management company it has developed a fault and therefore doesn't give accurate usage readings. The meter needs to be replaced - who is liable to pay for the replacement? My insurance company says that such a thing would be classified as covered under buildings insurance which is held by the property management company.
Please help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello thank you for your question. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Normally, the position is that a meter within an apartment is the responsibility of the apartment owner.

JACUSTOMER-jrbbe9cv- :

A gas or electricity meter are repaired by the gas/electric company and are located within a house. Why would I be subject to the repair costs of a similar technology.

tdlawyer :

You need to check the specific terms of your lease. Sometimes, they set out precisely whose liability this type of thing would be.

tdlawyer :

Why have you rated bad service?