How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i have a claim with direct line after a water damage to our

Customer Question

i have a claim with direct line after a water damage to our laminate flooring ,the laminate flooring goes from the hall to the dining room and into the lounge without any thresholds ,the damage is in the hall but does not affect the dining room or lounge ,however the laminate flooring is discontinued , can i claim for replacement of the whole ,or just the hall ,there is no door plate/threshold between the rooms
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to wait for an answer as this is ,in my opinion straight forward , all i wish to know is what my rights are regarding the question ,

it is an insurance question , can i claim for full replacement of the flooring as there is no threshold (door plate) between the rooms ,my insurance policy is a "like for like" policy , and the original estimator measured all the rooms ,as he assured us this was the case ,however my insurance company says they will only pay for the hall ,

this is important to me and i want an answer or at the very least and explanation as to how to proceed ,

thank you


Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
Why can't you have different laminate in the damaged room please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could have different laminate in the hall as opposed to the other rooms ,but , the rooms ,hall , dining room , lounge , are all laid without threshold plates between the rooms , in other words the laminate is continuous , from all rooms , the wording "threshold plate" means a separation between different spaces , there is one door between the hall and dining room BUT there is no threshold plate ,for example if you had a carpet in one room and laminate in an adjoining room there would be a "threshold plate" be twixt the two rooms , mine is continuous laminate throughout the reason this was done is because it looks all the same , so i do not wish to have different laminate in the hall .

all i want to know is if my insurance is "LIKE FOR LIKE" can I demand that it all be replaced as per my insurance ,

I do not want a different laminate in the rooms ,that is not how it is and I do not see any reason why this should change ,

in other words if you owned a Mercedes and where offered a Ford as a substitute would you accept it , NO ,so why should I ,

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Changing a Mercedes for a Ford is not quite the same. That is the whole car.
If you had a Mercedes then you could not have Ford parts, that I agree. But here you are talking the whole car.
The insurers ONLY have an obligation to replace that which is damaged. You sadly can not expect them to replace the whole floor, even the undamaged rooms.
What they can do is separate the rooms off and do all the work to split it etc. They can do that and bear the cost.
But you dont have a right to expect them to replace the laminate throughout the undamaged rooms.
You can try of course and if they refuse take it to the Ombudsman at:
But sadly I think you are in a sticky wicket
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are correct in stating I wont like the answer ,I don't and feel I have wasted £38 , as I understand like for like that means a replacement on the same basis not something different to what I have , I will contact a loss assessor and continue my investigations , thanks

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Good luck with this.