How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Ive been seperated for three years and Im now retired .My husband

This answer was rated:

Ive been seperated for three years and Im now retired .My husband has not given me any money or help at all.I need money and he has his own business which I helped build,two large bank accounts and as Ive found out a secret savings account.He sold the family house three years ago for £160000 and told me he had a bill ,I think it was tax,that he had to pay,thinking we were still together I said I would help pay it.I ended up with £3500 .Ive had to buy every thing to fill a flat so most of money is gon.I dont want to do this but I feel he has it all and Im going down fast.Can you help me get a divorce and some money from him please.thankyou for your help.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long were you living together for and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi we were marride in 1978 and we parted in 2011 .We lived together all that time.It was a surprise to me he wanted to seperate.I am retired on state pention no job ,3000 in bank.Hoping to get council place next year.Barry has his own buisnes company van.lives in rented cottage.Has private and a works bank account ,he has loads of work.Oh and he s got a secret savings account he said had over £40-000 in.

Are you willing to issue divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

money would be the problem for much am I looking at.

Just one thing - may I ask why you agreed to the sale of the Matrimonial Home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi One day he came to me pleading me n crying to get me to agree to sell the house to pay his bill.Ive never seen this bill I dont know what its for ,I take it it was tax on his buisness.Not knowing he wanted to separate or that we were over .I agreed.thinking we would go on to a smaller place and carry on our lives.He was my husband in desperate need and I could help.The house was up for £169 000 he sold it for £162 000 which I disagreed to but he pleaded with me again as he had already don the deal.I dont know to change things so I accepted it.We had to be out in six weeks and in that time it all came out he wanted to separate.I was just stunned.

Your starting point is to issue Divorce Proceedings based on his Unreasonable Behaviour
The process is described here
Once they are underway you should offer to discuss the financial settlement with him using Family mediation ( for which Legal Aid is still available
If he refuses then you can apply to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with.
You are entitled to at least half of whatever assets he has - and probably spouse maintenance as well
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you