How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son involved in a minor car accident. His insurers decision

This answer was rated:

My son involved in a minor car accident. His insurers decision resolved the claim on a 50/50 basis which he reluctantly accepted. The third party involved now taking him to court to claim £1000.00 of car damagee to there car. Should he get a soicitor? The insurer stated that if went to court they think any judment would be 50/50 also. Advise please.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Are his insurers not dealing with this please?

His insurers reply to the claim from the third party was to send the same letter to them what they had sent to my son. He has changed his insurers since the accident last September. My son is doing a degree and only uses his car when at home from same.

Alex Watts : Has he approached his old insuers?

They state that there 50/50 decision is final and have communicated same to third party hence the third party taking my son to court for their loss. When we were informed by the insurer of their decision, they stated that a court of law would come to similar decision and suggested not taking the third party to court. As only cost me about £100.00 for parts to repair the car accepted the loss.

Alex Watts : Did the other side accept it on a 50/50 basis?
Customer: Obviously not as they are taking him to court. the only contact my son has had with the third party is when the accident occurred. At the time the third party adimitted it was his fault, the only witness being my sons girlfriend. He then phoned the third party later saying he paid for the spare parts he would not claim against him. The third party stated he wanted to take it through the insurers. My son then put a similar claim in.
Alex Watts :

Your son does not need to pay

Alex Watts :

His insurance either current or old need to resolve this.

Alex Watts :

That is what they are there for.

Alex Watts :

Therefore he should pass this on

Alex Watts :

If they refuse to deal with it then he should go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are free and offer an independent service at:

Alex Watts :

But your son does not need to make any payment - this is what his insurance is for

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you