How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have privately rented a flat since November 1987 from extended

This answer was rated:

We have privately rented a flat since November 1987 from extended family. Due to the circumstance changes of 1 of the owners, it is proposed to increase the rent by more than 120%. we have no lease agreement. What are our rights ?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
Alex Watts : What type of tenancy do you have please ?

Just a verbal arrangement from 1987

Alex Watts : If you have been there since 1987 you have a regulated tenancy as these were introduced before 1989
Alex Watts : You have protection from eviction and rent increases
Alex Watts : Regulated tenancies are entitled to fair rents and you can have rent increased assessed by a tribunal if you believe it is too much

where can I find out more about the regulated tenancy?

Alex Watts : You can get a commitee to look at the rent and assess if
Alex Watts : it
Alex Watts : for more information please see
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : And
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you, ***** ***** have a look at these sites

Alex Watts : Great. You do appear to have protection
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer before you go
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you or you need more help please click reply
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you