How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can baliffs enter property in your absence usin locksmiths

This answer was rated:

Can baliffs enter property in your absence usin locksmiths although debt is being paid..Sharon
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In feb this sent attachment of earnings form to council before it could be processed they started proceedings with newlyn baliffs since then I gave had nothing but hassle spoke to officer june 18th he was suppose to call back never did no one wants to confirm payment arrangement just unhelpful the fact that I am paying does not seem to matter feel very intimadated don't know what to do anymore

Thank you.
The fact that you are paying does not mean that bailiffs cannot act I'm afraid.
Council tax is due in full upon the date that the invoice is levied. The council will often allow people to pay in instalments because it fits with a monthly wage better. Also, a bailiff is never instructed until the council have a liability order against a debtor and they do not seek that upon the first default I'm afraid.
If they have a liability order against you then whether you are paying or not does not mean the bailiffs cannot enforce.
Generally speaking, a bailiff cannot enter unless you let him in or he can gain peaceful entry through the phone or unlocked doors or windows. A council tax bailiff does have the highest of powers and can, in some circumstances, force entry but they do not usually do so because it gives rise to a claim against them on the basis that they have exceeded the force that they needed. For that reason it is very unlikely.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you