How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my stepson was attacked by his partners son kicked backwards

This answer was rated:

my stepson was attacked by his partners son kicked backwards down the stairs, now in a wheelchair for life. not guilty verdict at crown court ( half the jury dint look as if they understood english.) What can he do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What were you hoping to do please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can he appeal the fact that the jury didnt seem that they understood what was going on or should he go to a civilian court

The complainant can never appeal.
The Crown can appeal unfair sentences via an Attorney General's reference. It can also take points of law but only to have the law considered. Even if they are found in favour of the Crown they do not have any impact upon the conviction or acquittal of the instant defendant.
You cannot appeal a not guilty verdict Im afraid.
He could always sue for assault. This is a high value claim so there would be cost involved. That is not onerous of itself as a no win no fee solicitor may assist.
The risk though with that is whether or not this particular defendant can pay. If he does not have money or assets then he is not worth suing.
There is also a claim in criminal injuries compensation.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you