How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I left the country in 2005 leaving some debts I returned

This answer was rated:

Hi I left the country in 2005 leaving some debts I returned back in 2009 I have just received a letter from a debt recovery company asking for full payment do I still have to pay this as it was over 8 years ago
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help.
Alex Watts : In fact in Scotland Limitation is 5 years,
Alex Watts : So if you have not paid or acknowledged the debt in the last 5 years it is statute barred.
Alex Watts : Simply write saying the debt is time barred.
Alex Watts : so no, you do not need to pay it
Alex Watts : And no, you do not have to pay it
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Hi Alex can you just clarify that this debt will still be statue barred even though I left the country and did not inform them also when I returned back to the uk I never contacted them with my contact details

Alex Watts : Yes it will still be statute barred.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else for you?

Hi Alex


Hi Alex no thank you I was just clarifying that it might not be statue barred as they did not have any contact details to reach me and was worried that they could still take me to court for payment of this debt

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you