How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12083
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Good afternoon. My son was told on fathers day to back his

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon.
My son was told on fathers day to back his bags and leave the house she owns. Like a nice guy he did. House is hers. He is having trouble getting access to his son. Am I right in saying he has equal rights. Has he got rights to see him more than 6 hours a week ? When he is over , she is there overlooking things.
He baby sits 2 to 3 nights a week but had to appear at the door at a given time. ie an hour before his sons bedtime.
Thank you for your question.
If they are married or if if he is named on the birth certificate both parents have equal parental rights and responsibilities. What that means is that they both have a say in the upbringing, education, welfare etc and both have the right to see the child (see online the Children (Scotland) Act 1995).
The extent to which the absent parent gets contact to his child depends on particular circumstances and what is in the best interests of the child. Some contact arrangements are almost 50:50 with the parent with care. Others are every second weekend and one night through the week. There is no rule other than what is deemed to be in the best interests of the child. The parents should deal with this between themselves. If they can't agree then one or other party would have to go to the court and ask the court to decide, again based on the best interests of the child.
Factors to be taken onto account would be age of child, wishes of a child old enough to express wishes, geographical location, parents' work commitments.
If your son can't get this fixed he should see a lawyer. Of she withdraws all contact without a good and sound reason the court will come down on her like a ton of bricks!
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you