How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My sister and I have been estranged for a number of years,

This answer was rated:

My sister and I have been estranged for a number of years, largely due to the interference of a very dominant mother who has since passed away. I was not included in my mothers Will and the entire estate went to my sister, Sadly, she is now in Intensive Care in hospital and not expected to survive. Upon being admitted, she gave her neighbour as 'next of kin' does that mean he can make medical decisions such as terminating life support. Other than a couple of uncles, I am her only living blood relative and feel that this responsibility should be mine, could you advise please. Thank you
I am sorry to hear about your sister's condition.
Unfortunately, there is no legal definition of next of kin and if your sister chose her neighbour, then I am afraid it will be him who makes decisions, and not you, as she did not choose you.
You may read more about this here
Sorry if this is not what you wish to hear but I have a duty to advise you truthfully.
UKSolicitorJA and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you