How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good Evening, do you by deal with debt matters, in particular

This answer was rated:

Good Evening, do you by deal with debt matters, in particular High Court Judgements?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Yes of course, I will try to keep it brief and to point.

In 1993 I was a financial advisor with Royal Life in Liverpool.

My self-employed contract was terminated by them in November 1993.

At my termination various reasons were cited, one of which that I owed a financing debt with then was for around £8,000.00

As far as I can remember, in early 1994, Royal took a high court action against me, I never even knew as I was in a terrible place, marriage gone, house re-possessed etc.,

The debt had rocketed to over £38,000.00.

I was aware that insurance policies and pension plans had been tampered with, this was not uncommon in instances like mine.

Is that enough so far?

What did you want to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I never had court papers and was given no opportunity to defend myself, the royal used Bermans in Liverpool. The Royal have never given a breakdown in any understandable fashion of how this debt rose to the figure they state. It was my own probing that established that this had happened and I contacted the Royal straightaway, gave a breakdown of income and came to an arrangement to pay £100.00 per month, which I did for 8-10 years. This stopped when the financial markets crashed (I am a mortgage broker) I am anxious of course, but is there anything that I can do to question the validity of what has happened? I am sure that there is a time limit. Would it be reasonable for me to make a request to them for clarity or am I creating more trouble for myself? Clive

I am really sorry but I cannot give you good news.
You are raising issues that might well have been good points originally. However, if this judgment is from 1994 then I'm afraid the Court is not going to revisit it now. There is no way around it I'm afraid. Its some 20 years old and the Court is not going to reopen it.
You can ask them to vary the judgment to allow you to pay in instalments.
You could, in principle, also ask them to redetermine the amount although after 20 years that might get short shift unfortunately.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you