How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been carrying out a small amount of part-time work for

This answer was rated:

I have been carrying out a small amount of part-time work for a Manchester Organisation between March and April for £100 per day (during a period when I was unemployed) and was eventually paid after 3 months of haggling. During April I started working for a Consultancy Firm (Self Employed) and we agreed that from there on (1st of May) my rates would reflect their rates £250 + VAT, which I have confirmation of via e-mail from CEO of the Organisation. I duly sent my invoice of some 6 weeks ago, and have this week chased up the payment. The person reasonable is now saying that she did not agree to the new rates as she needed to have them approved by her Board. The e-mail of 25th April states (verbatim) "I appreciate that moving forward you are now charging £250 + VAT. The next steps are for me to sit down with Annette (her senior manager) and to work out our needs in terms of capacity going forward. I will let you know the outcome of our discussions- which will be subject to approval from the Board" Annette subsequently contacted me on 2 separate occasions to instruct me to carry out further work during May. I believe, as do the Consultancy Company that these rates were agreed, particularly as I have other correspondence substantiating this. The CEO says the instructions from Annette were "an unfortunate misunderstanding" in terms of the rates
Your advice thus far as to my response would be greatly appreciated
Kind Regards
Graham Bastow
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

If you have confirmation of the rate of £250 plus VAT and this has been confirmed in email then you have a case for the debt here.

Alex Watts :

Why on earth would you work for £100 + VAT when £250 + VAT was agreed.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you