How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

dear sir or madam. i am with a broadband company,and i have

This answer was rated:

dear sir or madam. i am with a broadband company,and i have a contract till next i phone them up and explained to them ,i could not a ford monthly payments i know i had a fee to pay, when they told me the price 300 pounds there no way i can pay it,and i can not pay monthly payments.what can i do. John
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is it in your personal name ?
Are you prepared to risk a default on your record?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes my name is ***** ***** a default yes i am

A default on your credit rating?
It will have a negative impact for 6 years if you want to borrow money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you need to know

Whether you are happy to risk a default?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i am Jo

If you are locked into a contract then they are entitled to enforce it. There is no way around it. Contracts are difficult to escape lawfully.
A cancellation sum is completely unenforceable against you but the difficulty is that they will not sue for that sum. They will sue for a lost profits claim which is due under the contract.
If you just cannot afford to pay then you can always refuse to pay and invite them to sue. its very unlikely that they will sue. Its not worth the manpower.
What they may do is get debt collectors to pester you although they have very limited powers that really just extend to writing to you and phoning.
The risk though is that they will add a default to your credit account which is generally to be avoided. Its very damaging if you want to borrow money in the next six years.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

from i just stop the monthly direct debits.will they come to my house, or just letters and phone calls.

No, they can't do that unless they get a CCJ which they would have to go to court to do.
There is a risk they could do that but not likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you Jo for that advice its been useful to know.enjoy rest of the day.John

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you