How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10794
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

If I sell my house and give the money to my daughter,in order

This answer was rated:

If I sell my house and give the money to my daughter,in order to renovate a building attached to her house, would the authorities be able to in any way take her house or take money from her , should I ever need to go into a home.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
If you were to go into a Home, you would be asked if you have ever owned a property and if so, what has happened to the proceeds of Sale.
If it can be shown that you have given the proceeds to your Daughter, with the intention of avoiding having to pay for Home fees then Social services will not fund you - they will assume that you still have the funds that you gave away to her.
ie they/the Local Authority have the power to simply act as though the money is still available to you if they believe that the money was given away to avoid paying for care home fees
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Can I assist you any further?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you so much.

The money would be used to renovate the area of the house that I would be moving into.There would be no money left over, we have costed the job.Is the position still the same.

Thanks for your reply.
The position remains the same-
The value of your "share" in your Daughter's property would be classed as belonging to you, and would be counted as your capital when calculating if you are entitled to state assistance in paying your Home fees.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you