How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12173
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi,i am power of attorney for my 81 year old mum.She is suffering

This answer was rated:

Hi,i am power of attorney for my 81 year old mum.She is suffering with dementure,recently my vehicle that i use for her broke dow and is deemed to be beyond repair. I spoke to one of your expert colleges via this site and asked if it would be in order to source a replacement vehicle from her funds to use for her. He told me that it would be fine to do so ,but i have one more question. What would you feel is the correct amount to spend on the said vehicle?. My mother is a wealthy woman,but i dont want to waste her money.
Thank you for your question.
There is no law on this other than the duty of you as the attorney to act in a reasonable manner and in th best interests of your mother.
You would not be critisised if you bought a new vehicle that was similar to the one that no longer works assuming it is big enough and comfortable enough to get your mother in and out of. Or if you felt that a bigger vehicle was required to accommodate her needs you could do that. You overriding duty is to act reasonably in the circumstances.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you