How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ExperiencedLawyer Your Own Question
ExperiencedLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  I have 14+ years of experience as a family lawyer, advising people on all kinds of relationship and family law issues.
Type Your Law Question Here...
ExperiencedLawyer is online now

hello I am moving to a house I own tomorrow and my girlfriend

This answer was rated:

hello I am moving to a house I own tomorrow and my girlfriend and her two children boy aged 18 and a daughter aged 15. what will happen if the relationship breaks down?? where do I stand? even if I pay all the household bills etc. I have been told ny another laywer that if I give her reasonable notice she will have to leave. But what if she refuses to go ?? thank you mr m murphy
My name is ***** ***** I can help with your question.
I suspect from your question that your girlfriend has not made any financial contribution to the purchase of the house, nor made any capital contribution at all, and that the two of you do not have any agreement that she will have an interest in the house - is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello Mac

sorry for the delay in replying.

Well events have taken a turn for maybe the better. In reply to you're question we are now longer going to move into the property I own

I have spoken to a lawyer in my local area. and he has looked up family law. So now we are going to rent a completely different property with her as the legal tenant, With the tenancy being in her name. So if things did not work out between us then I would leave and her and her children would be able to stay in the house.

And I would still have my own property to return to.

My lawyer advised me . Had we moved into My own house and the relationship broke down she could. come up with any excuse and get an injunction against me then I would be thrown out of my own home. for who knows how long while a legal battle ensues. and possibly I would also have to pay the bills l and maintain my property while she is living there with her children one being 15 and the other being 18.

The reason for me asking you with little detail was a last minute panic as I only had a few hours before the removal van turned up to move us all into my house. So mac I think and hope you agree that the way we are going now is the best solution. As in the future if the relation ship broke down she would have absolutely no claim to any part of the property I own in any shape or form. even though we are co habituating in a rented house. I hope I am right on this matter

thanks again Mac

Kind regards mr ***** *****.

Hello Michael,
That is a safer way of proceeding, yes.
In the unfortunate event of your relationship breaking down, I confirm she would have no claim on your house.
ExperiencedLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you