How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi my name is ***** ***** have been accused of perverting the

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is ***** ***** have been accused of perverting the course of justice whilst I was on my honeymoon but the incident took place in the UK. Can I be charged with this crime if I wasn't in the jurisdiction of England at he time?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What was the incident?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The incident took place in my nursing home, one of my members of staff incorrectly placed the clients hand between the clients legs. I told my manager to follow the protocol which is the same for all incidents relating to the elderly but she failed to do this properly. It is my word against hers. At the time I was on my honeymoon abroad. When I got back to England my manager had been arrested. I voluntarily went the the police station and was charged with perverting the course of justice.
So what is the perverting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Social services should have been informed of the incident but we're not . My manager told the police that I had informed her not to contact social services when in fact I told her to follow the protocol. This would involve sending a form to them regarding the incident.
That is not perverting the course of justice.
I need to know what the allegation against you is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The police alleged that I told my manager to change her statement.
Ok. I see.
And I presume she was in the UK at the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she was but I wasn't as already mentioned.
Thats bad news I'm afraid.
You do not have to be in the UK to offend. You just have to do an act that is partially committed in the UK to fall within the UK's jurisdiction.
For instance, if you make a phone call to somebody in the UK and suggest an offence then you have committed an offence within the UK.
It is fair to say that, for perverting the course of justice, it is very unlikely that they will seek your extradition to the UK to face charges unless the substantive offence is incredibly serious. That said, if you have ties to the UK and have to return for other reasons then they probably will pursue this unfortunately.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much for the advice, it is very helpful.
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile