How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

hi, I was born in Dublin, Ireland from both parents who are

This answer was rated:

hi, I was born in Dublin, Ireland from both parents who are from derry n.ireland (uk) and now living in derry northern Ireland (uk), im heading to the states to get married to an American lady and bring her over here and want to know how to exercise my treaty rights or where do I exercise them, as I understand it I bring her into Dublin and drive home to uk just want to know the legalities of it and how to go about it Richard,

also what type of marriage cert is required for proof ?

Hello Richard,
You are entitled to hold both Irish and UK passports and I assume that you hold both passports.
As a dual UK national, your cannot exercise treaty rights but would need to bring your wife on a UK spouse settlement visa which she needs to apply from the US. As such, you will need to be earning at least £18600 per annum for your wife to qualify.
See here for the application process
If you do not have a UK passport, you may simply say that you are an Irish national exercising treaty rights in the UK e.g. Working, studying or simply living off savings.
In that case your wife needs to apply for an EEA Family Permit to enter the UK.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

apologies, I hold an irish passport only, so I can exercise my treaty rights,

so how and where do I do it,? is it just by applying for the eea form ? does my wife say that im excercising them at immigration ?

If your wife manages to get into the UK through a Ireland, then she may apply for a residence card. She doesn't need to apply as her right to reside in the UK is already recognised under EEA regulations provided you are working or studying etc in the UK.
Examples how you may show that you are exercising treaty rights in the UK is payslips, letters of employment etc
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so im just going to clarify,

im working full time , wife will fly into Dublin , then drive up north to me in derry.

she has to apply for residence permit when she gets here,

also we are marrying in America in florida, what marriage cert is required in uk ???

The American marriage certificate is acceptable in the UK.
Yes, your wife applies for a residence card using form EEA 2
All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks to you and very helpful kind sir