How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In 1983 my mother died (I was 10 years old at the time) & her

This answer was rated:

In 1983 my mother died (I was 10 years old at the time) & her boyfriend kept all her personal belongings, claiming she 'owed him money'. All the adults around at the time were going through too much to fight him on this. However, now I would really like to have her belongings back, so I can actually learn more about who she was. Do I have any legal rights to try & do this?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you know where he is?
Do you have any idea of what there was?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, yes I know his address, it's in Hampstead, London.

The items aren't of great monetary value, but priceless personal value. Many books (some rare), Clothing (very unique) & Jewelery. He also kept a wig made from her real hair. It was made for her because she was undergoing chemotherapy. She had very long hair, which was cut short & made into a wig.

Thank you,


Have you spoken to him about this - after all he may not have the items after 30 years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. My sister saw him & got back some jewellery, but nothing else. I have personal reasons for not wishing to speak to him & would prefer to go through a 3rd party. I believe other family members asked him at the time, but he claimed she owed him money so he was keeping her things.
Do you have any other siblings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just the one half sister (on my mothers side)
Your mothers assets such as they were should have passed to you and your sister and had action been taken at that time then the goods might have been recovered.
At this late date it is going to be almost impossible to recover any of her belongings as he can simply say that he no longer has them.
You can certainly write - or ask someone else to do so - and request the return of your mother's possessions and point out that he had no right to keep her belongings - whether or not she owed him money
I am afraid the passage of time has made anything else impossible
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you