How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a tenant who is failing to comply with our gentlemens

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant who is failing to comply with our gentlemens' agreement - no pets, no alteration without landlord's permission, has even changed the locks and refuses to supply me with a key, etc. Despite several verbal requests he continues to comply. There is no written contract. He fails to acknowledge my letters of termination of our agreement.
What can I do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I evict him

Is this is a separate self contained house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It is an annex to the main building

When you say an annex, do you share amenities or is it entirely self contained? It would change his contract.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Self contained - electricity and other facilities included in the rent.

He is almost certainly on a periodic tenancy agreement. Whether he has a written agreement or not, he is living in your self contained annex and he is subject to a periodic.
That doesn't mean you cannot get him out but just that there are just procedures.
You need to serve a S21 notice upon him on or before the rent date. Unfortunately that can of no less than 2 months notice. However, it is guaranteed to get you him.
You can also serve a S8 notice alleging various breaches. You are describing some breaches that are sufficient to gain a discretionary possession order but its not guaranteed so I wouldn't recommend it.
On your other points, you are entitled to a key. If he refuses to give you one then you are entitled to change the locks and sue him for the cost.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. Thank you for the above. Where do I go to get a Form S21?

This site|38290359193&gclid=CMCLrvHpi8ACFSQXwwodV54AtQ
purports to do it for free although I have never used them.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you