How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was caught doing 37 mph in a 30mph zone by a camera/van.

This answer was rated:

I was caught doing 37 mph in a 30mph zone by a camera/van. I received a letter stating that I had broken the law. I then sent my licence details away to the safety camera unit as I was admitting the offence. 5 months later I had a court summons through the post. It went to court and I was fined £366. Not once was I offered a fixed penalty of any sort (3 points and £100 fine). I emailed the court stating this,as well as phoning the courts on several occasions. This was totally ignored. I did not receive a letter that should have offered me a fixed penalty. Should I have and should I have to pay the whole fine?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
They do not have to offer the fixed penalty. That is merely a police method of dealing with cases so that they reduce administrative pressure upon the courts.
It is difficult to see why they did not here. It would seem otherwise an eligible offence.
However, the point is that it is not a consideration for the Court that were not offered a fixed penalty. Nobody has the right to a fixed penatly in the UK. That is why the court ignored it and also probably nobody saw your emails anyway. Magistrates Courts are not usually fantastically efficient.
If you have received a fine of £366 then you do have to pay it. If you don't they will just send bailiffs in to collect and, in the very long term, you can go to prison for non payment of court fines.
The only possible option is to judicialy review the decision to refuse you a fixed penalty. That will, unfortunately, cost many thousands of pounds and there are no guarantees of succees.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you