How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Please help We have had an early bird reservation on a new

This answer was rated:

Please help
We have had an early bird reservation on a new build house for 5 months, I was told to put ourselves in the best possible position. We sold our house have chased for a price to be told we can not have one yet. Today I get a phone call to say that the house is not not being built? Can not catch my breath thank you in advance Leanne
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am sorry to hear of your situation.
I take it that no Contracts were exchanged on the "new plot"?
Have you completed the Sale of your property?
I take it that you are asking if you have a case for compensation?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, no contracts on the new plot. Just a slip from them to say early bird reservation that they signed. I have been chasing for a price of the plot for 5 months. 3 days before we completed on our sale I chased again. They rang today to say they are changing the site and removing the house we have an early bird on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No did not want compo, I want the house
Hi Leanne,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm afraid, legally, there is absolutely nothing you can do to pursue the Developer for any compensation or the house itself. As no Contracts were signed on the new Build, there was no legally binding agreement between you and the Developer to sell you the property.
Morally, they should reimburse you for any loss you have incurred, but knowing Developers, I doubt you will receive anything or only a token gesture .
If I were you, I would write to the Area Office of the Developer, if applicable and make a complaint. Whether they will give you any compensation is hard to say, but please don't hold too much hope.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Al,
Given the house style have changed would they have to re apply for new planning or building regs? Can not find anything with the local planning office thanks leanne
Hi Leanne,
Are you saying that they intend to build on the Plot, but it is a different property? If so, would you still be interested in purchasing?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, it doesn't meet what we need.
The house originally had a double detached garage with a 18 x 15 mtr garden, it now has a smaller house and hardly any garden
Thanks lg
The Developer would have obtained planning permission based on Plans provided for the original build. If they were wishing to change the style and size of the new proposed build, they would have to re-submit their planning application.
Building Regulations are granted at various stages of a build, so they wouldn't have obtained any for the original build as nothing had been built.
Can I assist any further?
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you