How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3846
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am waiting for a £12000 insurance claim to be settled by

This answer was rated:

I am waiting for a £12000 insurance claim to be settled by Ocaso for repairs to a rented property following water damage. I am the leaseholder and Hackney Housing owns the freehold and is responsible for the buildings insurance. Davies Chartered Loss Adjusters told me over the phone that I would receive the payment before the end of June and it is now august. When I call Ocaso I get passed back to the loss adjusters who now tell me that there is nothing they can do to expedite payment or to clarify the delay. Can I pursue this matter through the courts or should I use the ombusdman service? Can I withhold payments due to Hackney Council in relation to the property as they are responsible for providing the insurance cover?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Firstly I would not under any circumstances with hold payments due to the council. This could affect future insurance cover and they may seek to recover the money from you in a county court claim. Unfortunately there is very little the council can do to help you as the matter is now the insurers responsibility.
Secondly this is a financial service and Financial Ombudsman Service was set up for complaints of this nature. What you must do is make a written complaint to the insurer and find out exactly what has caused the delay. Once you have exhausted a written complaint avenue and if you do not receive a satisfactory response, then you can complain to the FoS.
They are able to order payment of compensation if you have been unfairly treated.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you