How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Good afternoon JoI have a lapsed endowment policy which

Customer Question

My email address:  ***@******.***

Good afternoon Jo I have a lapsed endowment policy which was due to pay out in 2017 but I stopped paying into it back in 2003. The surrender value of the policy is about £6k and the company sent me the forms to surrender. Now they say that as I dont have the original policy I cannot claim. They say they dont have it! Can you help point me in the right direction please? Thank you. Kate C

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Kate,
Which insurance company is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scottish Provident. did you see I amended my email address?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
You should be able to make a claim even though you do not have the original policy document with you.
I would suggest that you make a formal complain to the insurer and if they are still not willing to help you, you should take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service
See below
I would expect your claim to be settle eventually once the insurer realises you will not be fobbed off by them.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I will make the complaint and take the matter up with the financial ombudsdman if needs be.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, please leave feedback