How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been estranged from my mum for 2 years now, after having

Customer Question

I have been estranged from my mum for 2 years now, after having spent 12years as her carer during which time she mentally abused me, so I had to move from the home we shared. I put money into the home we went half with all the furniture and white goods. I have been told by my friend that sadly my mum is dying and only has a few months to live, I have been in touch with my mums social worker who told me that she was my mums next of kin. However iam my mums nearest next of kin, though I do have an older brother, so I guess he is. My mum has given the social services the power and authority to act of her behalf regarding her finances and health/wealthfare. I guess she has made them her lasting power of attorney, as I have to ring the social worker to find out any information regarding my mum. My question is do I or my brother have any say in my mums financial or welfare issues? Also is there anyway I can claim back any monies which I put into the council bungalow? As I do not want any money from mums will, as she already told me that me or my brother would not be given any money. I would just like to know where I stand on the legal side. Also could I contest the lasting power of attorney? As I do not agree with the social services having all this power. Could you please advise me on this matter. Thankyou. Dawn harris.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your mother still living at home?
What contact does your brother have with her?