How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son was in a relationship with a girl 4 years ago, when

This answer was rated:

My son was in a relationship with a girl 4 years ago, when the girl fell pregnant she didn't want anymore to do with him, in fact she used him to get pregnant!! she didn't put his name on the birth certificate, but too maintainance payments off him (she is now 3years of age) my son haven't been allowed to see his daughter for over 2 years as she said he would have to go through the courts and he hasn't had the money to pursue this, his ex girlfriend has now married, what rights has my son got in respect tpo having access to his daughter, he is worried that the new husband will want to adopt her, I would appreciate some advise please, yours sincerely ***** *****

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long ago were the visits to thee contact centre?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, it was approx. 18 months ago may a little longer, she then started making excuses ,such as; Roxy wasn't well, or the visit upset her as she didn't know him, he worships his little girl and just want to spend time with her to build up a relationship, he has never missed a payment through csa, and has always bought her birthday and xmas presents, she contacted myself recently to say " Roxy has a new daddy now and she dosent want her upset. Clare this is so unfair!! I believe through accepting payments he has a right to see his daughter (which he is desperate to) and should have his name put on the birth certificate. There seem to always be help for the mothers, but not a lot of rights for the fathers. Is he eligible for legal aid to help him with the expences of taking her to court?

thankyou, Julie XXXXX

Hi Julie
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts WILL enforce this necessary
In addition your son is entitled to apply to have parental responsibility for his daughter.
His starting point is to try and negotiate with his ex again using Family mediation - and making it plain that he will no longer accept excuses.
His daughter is entitled to know her biological father as well as her step father and children rarely get confused once the relationships have Been established.
If mediation fails the your son can apply to the courts for a child Arrangement Order setting out his contact with the child which will the be enforceable.
He can make the application himself - and the fee is £215.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
I am sorry that you felt my service was poor which is not necessary for and does not trigger a refund
I am not sure what further information you wish to have - but if you ask I will be happy to try and answer your queries
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you