How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71134
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have not been paid for a job that I have done, the terms

Customer Question

I have not been paid for a job that I have done, the terms of the job was sent vie Email, but the company who hired me has not paid me anything, they are constantly making excuses, the money owed to me is about £10,000, the main problem at the moment is that I have another job, working away from home so getting a solicitor is not easy
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking how to sue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, just want to get paid the money owed to me

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, there are no magic wands.
Clearly you are owed the money. They are in breach by refusing or failing to pay.
The plain fact is though that if a company refuses to comply with the law the only way to force them to do so is to sue. That is the way law is enforced. They cannot be beaten with a stick until they agree!
If you don't want to sue then you could get a solicitor to send them a letter before action warning of your intention to sue if they do not pay within a set period of time. maybe that will work. Maybe not. Its very cheap to do.
If that does fail though, the only way to force them is to sue them. You can issue here
but you should warn them first. Even if you don\t get a solicitor to write to them then you should write to them yourself.
If they think that you will sue and they will be liable for costs then its not likely to get to that point.
Can I clarify anything for you?