How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi. I have problem with my ex girlfriend. When we split she

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have problem with my ex girlfriend. When we split she take a car and she should pay for it but she change her mind and decided to not pay anything. I got the receipt on my name for the car but her name is ***** ***** logbook. What I can do to get the car back? Thanks
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Who is the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is

has she made any payments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


If she is the registered keeper then she is entitled to physical possession of the car but she is in breach of your agreement that she would pay.
If she refuses to pay then your only option really is to sue her at the small claims court. You can do so here
She will probably raise some ridiculous twaddle about it being a gift and make general allegations of domestic abuse or otherwise pretend to be a victim but its not likely to get anywhere. It would have been better if she had made some payments because then you could evidence the agreement but, in truth, if you paid for a car that she has now then its a rare court that would not accept there was some arrangement to repay.
Its probably a good idea to send her a letter before action first. At least, it has the disadvantage of tipping her off that you intent action and therefore giving her time to concoct a story. It does have the advantage of protecting you from costs at court though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's nearly a year and I tried talk to her many time but she just decide to not pay. How much court fee will cost me?

It depends on the sum you are claiming but not a lot usually.
The small claims court is a cost effective option.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you