How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a disabled mother, who has recently broken her ankle

This answer was rated:

I have a disabled mother, who has recently broken her ankle and needs a wheelchair to get to the car. I live in a place with on street parking and the next door neighbour has parked outside my house, I had to park two doors down. I asked them politely to move their car this morning as I am taking my mother out later, but they refused. What are my rights in this situation?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are there any prohibitions upon parking there? I know there is onstreet parking but are they in breach?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there are no prohibitions upon parking there. They are not in breach, but I thought out of courtesy they could have moved their car, considering I have a disabled mother.

Yes, it would be neighbourly to do that.
However, a person cannot be forced in law to behave in a neighbourly way. If they are not in breach of the regulations or parked in a way that causes an obstruction to users of the road then they cannot be forced to move.
You can always apply for a dropped kerb at your address. That isn't a quick fix and it does cost about £1200 depending on the council but its an option for you if you do have an issue with parking in the area.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the council be able to put a disabled parking bay outside my house? My mother has a disabled badge.

You can apply but the truth is that its very unlikely. Their answer will almost certainly be that you should apply for a dropped kerb.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you