How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My father left me and my brother over £90,000 in his will.

Customer Question

My father left me and my brother over £90,000 in his will. I, like a fool, sent the cheque in the post to my bank (First Direct). It was stolen. The solicitors who sent the cheque to me did not register it, so I didn't either. I went to the ombudsman but they didn't help.
Should I go to the financial ombudsman?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I do not think the Financial Ombudsman will be of help here as this is a criminal matter due to the theft of the cheque.

However, I would have thought that the cheque would have been made out in your name and therefore the money would only be paid to your account.

If the police has not been called, they should be.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an historical event - it happened in the early 2000's. Can I continue to

fight my corner? My brother, who lives in Canada, is now in his seventies.


I was taking anti-depressants at the time which befuddled my brain.


The solicitor who dealt with the Will no longer works with the law company.


Should I go to another solicitor?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You may still try and solve the issue as there is no limitation period if crime was committed.

Yes, you may speak to another solicitor if you have the money to pay for one.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Can I use a no-win no-fee solicitor? How do I find one who will

help me in this case?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you may try and get a no win no fee solicitor if you find one.

Solicitor search here

All the best