How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi there , I havent been paid for a job I did more than

This answer was rated:

Hi there ,
I haven't been paid for a job I did more than four months ago and the subcontractor is not really willing to do it. The main contractor is behind me, or at least that's their position, and because they have to keep to the official side of the law are trying for a 4 months to arrange meeting with the subcontractor and myself to clear the situation. Long story short I had to do a repair with my team and because is like an extra cost now I have difficulties to get the money. I won't even mention the financial problems I am having now because of all this! Please let me know where I stand and what is my next step to get paid!
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How much are you owed and is it just the subcontractor who owes you money?

Customer: The amount is £12.000 owned by the subcontractor
Ben Jones :

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

  1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

  2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

  3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Customer: Thanks Ben! Looks like I have to start putting together the reminder letter. One question - do I have to use the post or an email will do the job?
Ben Jones :

either would work, as long as you know it is a valid email

Customer: Do you think if I get a solicitor involved will help me? Not sure about the rates too! If I get professional help how much will cost me roughly?
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
you do not need a solicitor and it will just increase the costs but if you want them to just send a formal letter to start with that would be fine, rates can vary considerably, depends on how much involvement they need, the level of lawyer dealing with it etc - you need to shop around for that I'm afraid