How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

is a security camera allowed to scan my kitchen and through

This answer was rated:

is a security camera allowed to scan my kitchen and through my back door and down my garden watching my every move
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Where is the camera installed and by whom?

on nextdoors property under a low roof

Alex Hughes : Do you know why it's been installed? Have they been burgled?

on next doors property under low roof

Alex Hughes : I understand. But why have they installed it? Have they been burgled?

no it seem it is there just to watch our movements

Alex Hughes : Your neighbour is entitled to install cameras to protect their property, deter criminals and for general safety purposes. The cameras should be installed in such a way that they point at their own property, entrances, driveways etc. What they should not do is install cameras for the sole purpose of spying on you. If this is their aim then you could take legal action for nuisance but you would have to prove that there is some form of spying going on. The mere fact that a camera has been installed is not enough evidence. Unfortunately the Data Protection Act and Human Rights Act do not help because your neighbour is a private person. So your only recourse is under the civil law for private nuisance. You should speak to your neighbour first about your concerns, if that doesn't work you can ask a solicitor to send them a letter and if that fails you could take legal action but this should be your last resort.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you