How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I hired a painter to paint/stain the exterior wooden windows

Customer Question

I hired a painter to paint/stain the exterior wooden windows on my house.
I paid them before noticing that on a few windows, some of the brown stain had got on fingers which had marked the white interior frames of the windows.
The painter has agreed to come back and put right the problem, but has proved elusive when it comes to tying down an actual time to come and do the work.
I'm wondering how long I should give him to agree a time to fix the issue, and also, what legal recourse I have if he doesn't come back to put right the stains.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you tried asking him when he will do it ?

When did you originally speak to him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I spoke to him 2 weeks ago.


I will try to tie down a definite time.


I was just trying to understand IF he is not forthcoming with a time to come and do repairs, what I could then do.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There are options for you but it depends how long the work will take and what his potential commitments are.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to resolve this?

Also, I notice you have not yet left feedback for a previous answer so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would hope that a few hours / a day would resolve the issues.


Feedback: I shall attempt to give great feedback now :)

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
You do need to make contact with him.

There are two options really. The first is just to ask him when he intends to do the work which is probably the more favourable option at this stage. If he says within a week and does it then the problem is resolved.

If he is unclear or doesn't respond or does not do what he has agreed to do then just write to him either by text or email giving him 14 days to complete. That is a reasonable period of time as by then you would be some 21 or 28 days from the work. Make clear that you will instruct another and sue him for the cost if he does not.

If he does not then you can instruct another and recover the difference from the first workman. It will be a small claims court sum so cheap enough to issue. You can do so here

Its quite unlikely that he would contest this as its fairly overwhelming. You might find just issuing will be sufficient.

Can I clarify anything for you?