How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Our business has been put out of action by a fire in the flats

This answer was rated:

Our business has been put out of action by a fire in the flats above us. It happened on 25th June 2013. We were insured and have got business interruption etc, but that has now stop.. We are a partnership and we're wondering if we had a case for compassion
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Were you insured please?

Customer: Yes
Alex Watts :

Ok - wont your insurers pay out?

Customer: But we've had all we can claim from our insurers. What we want to know is if it's possible to sue the owner of the property
Customer: Yes
Alex Watts :

Whats the difference in value you want to claim?

Customer: Not sure enough to Compensate us for all the lost business over the last 15/16 months
Alex Watts :

What is the value?

Customer: Of what?
Alex Watts :

Lost business

Customer: About £50,000
Alex Watts :

Can you prove this loss in detail? (But not to me, but generally)

Customer: but we,re not looking for all that just enough to have a little something
Alex Watts :

How much?

Customer: we have accounts
Customer: £15,000
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

As the claim is above £10,000 it will be fast track and therefore you will need representation for trial

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you